To get traffic to your site, it is acknowledged that search engine optimization (SEO) remains about the most enduring and ultimately cheapest means of achieving this. Search engine optimization primarily consists of two components : on-page and off-page optimization. Arguably, off-page optimization constitutes about 70% of SEO and this primarily consists of all actions you take to generate backlinks pointing to your website.
It is natural that you will want to measure the result of your actions in this direction to determine to what extent you are achieving your objective of getting backlinks pointed at your various site pages/keywords.
How do you do this? By learning how to check keyword ranking in the search engines.
Of course, by far the most significant search engine accounting for about 70% of total search engines traffic which itself accounts for about 60% of the average website’s traffic, is Google.
It therefore should be no surprise that the concentration in this article is on how to check keyword ranking in Google.
To check keyword ranking in Google by automation, there are a number of softwares developed by various programmers but each with its own defect.
Some for example are not real time such that you discover that your keyword ranking as indicated by these software tools differ to some extent from your actual rankings when you eventually see this on the search engine result pages(SERP’s)
Some tools literally “go dead” or have been “dead” for sometime when you try to access them to check keyword ranking.
Some of these software tools are actually occasionally or permanently “blocked” by Google from accessing its data.
For most of these software tools, except for the paid versions which costs into the 100’s of dollars, you are limited to a specified number of keywords in trying to check keyword ranking.
In some of the FREE versions of the software tools to check keyword ranking, you cannot store/save the information you generate by using the keyword ranking tool.
For these and many other reasons including the enticing fact that it is FREE, the need to go to the “horse” itself i.e. Google, to access this much needed information, becomes imperative. One just needs to know how to go about it.
Now, given the current settings of Google search, one is limited to accessing a maximum of 100 search results at a time/per page of search engine results. This should not be confused with the total possible search results available per keyword/keyword phrase on google search which quite often is up to 1000 results i.e. 10 pages @ 100 results per page. All you now have to do is check about 10 search engine result pages (set to 100 search results per page) to have checked the total search engine results.
How do you now check keyword ranking?
To check keyword ranking, what you need to do is
- Insert your keyword/keyword phrase in the google search box of the google toolbar at the top of your browser and press enter or click search.
- At the top of the search engine result pages (SERP’s) which displays and just below the google search box, you will see “advanced search”. Click on this to open up a browser window featuring details as follows:
- You will see the keyword/keyword phrase you have inserted stated in the row => “all these words”, at the top of this window, while you will see a row for “results per page” somewhere further down. Here you should insert “100 results” in place of “10 results” as the number of results you want shown per page of search results and then click on “advanced search” at the bottom of the window.
- This will open up a new browser window showing the 1st search engine results page with 100 search results on the page. (Important!! – Please read this post => Google Search Engine Results Page : Can Only Feature 10 Results?)
- You should now press and hold down “Ctrl” on your keyboard while you then press “F”.
- This will open up a small toolbar at the bottom of your computer screen with the following details:
- Match case
- Insert your domain name (without the http or www prefix into the box, in front of “Find”
- Click on “next” and if your keyword is within the 1st page of 100 search results, then it will take you to the point your domain name is highlighted, shaded in green color. That is the keyword ranking i.e. position of your keyword/keyword phrase, as shown below.
- When you press next, if your domain name does not feature on the first page of 100 search results, at the extreme right of the toolbar that displayed at the bottom of the browser window when you pressed “Ctrl” + “F”, you will see the following words in quote “Phrase not found”.
- Then you have to scroll down to the bottom of the browser window to move the browser window to access the 2nd search engine results page (SERP’s) also containing another set of 100 search engine results, by clicking on “2”.
- You repeat the same process indicated above to highlight your keyword ranking i.e. position of your keyword, on this page.
- You continue this process until you get to the search engine results page (SERP’s) where your keyword ranking is highlighted.
That basically is how to check keyword ranking, using google search.
**** If you enjoyed reading this post, be sure to fill out this form to receive notification via e-mail once any new blog post is published. You will be able to see the post title and if it piques your interest, you can simply click over to my blog.
You can leave a comment below, picking up one or two dofollow backlinks in the process, as the case may be, since this blog is dofollow and has keywordluv and commentluv plugins enabled.
Do not forget to share this post with your friends and followers. Remember sharing is caring! ****